License Renewal Date
CPE Reporting Period
1/1 to 12/31 triennially
4 hours every 3 years. All applicants shall complete four credit hours of the required 120 credit hours in the New Jersey law and ethics course set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:29-6.3A. Effective 1/1/09, new licensees must take a board approved, 4 hour ethics course on New Jersey law and ethics within 6 months of licensure
Other Subject Area Requirements
* A minimum of 24 Accounting & Auditing credits for those in public practice or attest.
* A minimum of 72 technical hours – subjects include; accounting, auditing, business law, computer science, economics, finance, management advisory services, mathematics, statistics, SEC Practice, taxation and professional ethics and any of the above may be in specialized industries.
* Other courses may be acceptable if the licensee can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Board that each subject or specific program contributes to the maintenance of the licensee’s professional competence.
* Practice development and marketing courses are not acceptable.
* The maximum credit for instructors is up to 2 times the course time for preparation, with a maximum of 50%. No credit for subsequent sessions in the same year. After 1 year if the material is updated, then 1 credit per hour may be awarded, not 3.
* A licensee whose full time career is that of an instructor cannot receive CPE credit for any event he/she instructs.
* Instructed events can only receive credit for subject areas that are categorized as technical.
* The limit on books/articles is 25% of total hours. Only peer-reviewed publications are subject to credit.
* Non–technical credits are a limited credit area.
* Practice Review is limited to 50% of total hours.
* At least 60 credit hours must be earned through didactic instruction.
* University or college courses: Credit Courses – each semester hour equals 15 CPE hours; each quarter hour equals 10 CPE hours; Non Credit Courses – each classroom hour equals 50 minutes credit.
* Providers for self-study events must be NASBA approved.
* A licensee is limited to earning 60 hours of self-study credits per reporting cycle.
* College/University events shall only receive credit for subject areas that are categorized as Technical.
Other State Policies
NJ requires providers to be registered with the Board and will accept providers that are members of NASBA’s National Registry of CPE Sponsors.